ExamDOT Tyari Selection Ki..
Daily Vocab 4th Sep 2017 for upcoming bank and other competitive exams
Hello dear aspirants, Here is the vocabulary list for the upcoming bank and other competitive exams. Do study it on daily basis and enhance your vocabulary skills.
1. Epochal (Adjective): Forming or characterizing an epoch (नवयुगीन/ महत्त्वपूर्ण)
Synonyms: Cyclical, Occasional, Periodical, Rhythmic, Seasonal
Antonyms: Frequent, Permanent, Perpetual, Regular, Usual
Example: Because the film wasn’t epochal, it wasn’t nominated for any awards.
Related Words: Epoch (Noun): A particular period of time in history or a person’s life
2. Glitches (Noun): Sudden, usually temporary malfunctions (खामियाँ)
Synonyms: Bug, Defect, Flaw, Setback, Malfunction, Snag
Antonyms: Advantage, Perfection, Strength
Example: A technical glitch caused a temporary shutdown.
3. Impede (Verb): Delay or prevent something by obstructing them (अवरूद्ध)
Synonyms: Block, Curb, Disrupt, Hamper, Restrain, Stymie
Antonyms: Advance, Assist, Expedite, Facilitate, Unlock
Example: What are the problems that impede our progress on the task?
Verb Forms: Impede, Impeded, Impeded
Related Words: Impediment (Noun): A hindrance or obstruction in doing something
4. Semblance (Noun): The outward appearance or apparent form of something (झलक/आभास)
Synonyms: Air, Bearing, Facade, Feeling, Likeness, Resemblance
Antonyms: Difference, Dissimilarity, Unlikeness
Example: Even though I was nervous during my presentation, I tried to project a semblance of calmness while speaking.
5. Skew (Noun): A bias towards one particular group or subject (झुकाव/झुका हुआ)
Synonyms: Bend, Bias, Contort, Slant, Sloped, Twist
Antonyms: Maintain, Strengthen
Example: Because we didn’t use a level when hanging it, the picture was skew on the wall.
Related Words: Skew (Adjective): Neither parallel nor at right angles to a specified or implied line
Skew (Verb): Suddenly change direction or position
6. Subservient (Adjective): Less important; subordinate (अधीन/ सहायक)
Synonyms: Cowering, Deferential, Inferior, Man, Submissive
Antonyms: Controlling, Dictatorial, Domineering, Overbearing
Example: While I do not mind following reasonable orders on occasion, I am far from subservient and will not do everything I am told.
Related Word: Subservience (Noun): The condition of being less important than something else
7. Wand (Noun): A long, thin stick or rod (छड़ी)
Synonyms: Bar, Baton, Cane, Pole, Stick, Twig
Antonyms: Clearance, Unbar
Example: With them were found many reliefs in ivory, on tusks, wands and cylinders.
8. Hassles (Noun): Irritating inconveniences (बाधाएँ)
Synonyms: Clamour, Difficulty, Squabble, Tussle, Tumult, Upset
Antonyms: Agreement, Aid, Harmony, Tranquillity
Example: The police often seem to hassle young people that are just hanging out on the streets with friends.
9. Compliance (Noun): The action or fact of complying with a wish or command (अनुपालन)
Synonyms: Amenability, Conformity, Obedience, Observance
Antonyms: Difference, Defiance, Denial, Rebellion, Refusal, Veto
Example: In the army, there are harsh consequences for soldiers who are not in compliance with military laws.
Related Word: Compliant (Adjective): Meeting or in accordance with rules or standards
10. Venture (Verb): Undertake a risky or daring journey or course of action (कार्य/उद्यम)
Synonyms: Action, Business, Doing, Task
Antonyms: Idleness, Inaction, Protection, Safety
Example: Although the venture is going to cost me a lot of money, I can easily recoup my funds in three months if the business is successful.
Related Word: Venture (Noun): A risky or daring journey or undertaking