Hello dear aspirants, Here is the vocabulary list for the upcoming bank and other competitive exams. Do study it on daily basis and enhance your vocabulary skills.
1. Epochal (Adjective): Forming or characterizing an epoch (नवयुगीन/ महत्त्वपूर्ण)
Synonyms: Cyclical, Occasional, Periodical, Rhythmic, Seasonal
Antonyms: Frequent, Permanent, Perpetual, Regular, Usual
Example: Because the film wasn’t epochal, it wasn’t nominated for any awards.
Related Words: Epoch (Noun): A particular period of time in history or a person’s life
2. Glitches (Noun): Sudden, usually temporary malfunctions (खामियाँ)
Synonyms: Bug, Defect, Flaw, Setback, Malfunction, Snag
Antonyms: Advantage, Perfection, Strength
Example: A technical glitch caused a temporary shutdown.
3. Impede (Verb): Delay or prevent something by obstructing them (अवरूद्ध)
Synonyms: Block, Curb, Disrupt, Hamper, Restrain, Stymie
Antonyms: Advance, Assist, Expedite, Facilitate, Unlock
Example: What are the problems that impede our progress on the task?
Verb Forms: Impede, Impeded, Impeded
Related Words: Impediment (Noun): A hindrance or obstruction in doing something
4. Semblance (Noun): The outward appearance or apparent form of something (झलक/आभास)
Synonyms: Air, Bearing, Facade, Feeling, Likeness, Resemblance
Antonyms: Difference, Dissimilarity, Unlikeness
Example: Even though I was nervous during my presentation, I tried to project a semblance of calmness while speaking.
5. Skew (Noun): A bias towards one particular group or subject (झुकाव/झुका हुआ)
Synonyms: Bend, Bias, Contort, Slant, Sloped, Twist
Antonyms: Maintain, Strengthen
Example: Because we didn’t use a level when hanging it, the picture was skew on the wall.
Related Words: Skew (Adjective): Neither parallel nor at right angles to a specified or implied line
Skew (Verb): Suddenly change direction or position
6. Subservient (Adjective): Less important; subordinate (अधीन/ सहायक)
Synonyms: Cowering, Deferential, Inferior, Man, Submissive
Antonyms: Controlling, Dictatorial, Domineering, Overbearing
Example: While I do not mind following reasonable orders on occasion, I am far from subservient and will not do everything I am told.
Related Word: Subservience (Noun): The condition of being less important than something else
7. Wand (Noun): A long, thin stick or rod (छड़ी)
Synonyms: Bar, Baton, Cane, Pole, Stick, Twig
Antonyms: Clearance, Unbar
Example: With them were found many reliefs in ivory, on tusks, wands and cylinders.
8. Hassles (Noun): Irritating inconveniences (बाधाएँ)
Synonyms: Clamour, Difficulty, Squabble, Tussle, Tumult, Upset
Antonyms: Agreement, Aid, Harmony, Tranquillity
Example: The police often seem to hassle young people that are just hanging out on the streets with friends.
9. Compliance (Noun): The action or fact of complying with a wish or command (अनुपालन)
Synonyms: Amenability, Conformity, Obedience, Observance
Antonyms: Difference, Defiance, Denial, Rebellion, Refusal, Veto
Example: In the army, there are harsh consequences for soldiers who are not in compliance with military laws.
Related Word: Compliant (Adjective): Meeting or in accordance with rules or standards
10. Venture (Verb): Undertake a risky or daring journey or course of action (कार्य/उद्यम)
Synonyms: Action, Business, Doing, Task
Antonyms: Idleness, Inaction, Protection, Safety
Example: Although the venture is going to cost me a lot of money, I can easily recoup my funds in three months if the business is successful.
Related Word: Venture (Noun): A risky or daring journey or undertaking